Pages

Friday, June 1, 2007

Again its bandh…

Kathmandu: Admits my busy schedule, I am taking out my time to write this blog. I wish I could devote more time to blogging. But I couldn’t because of my job and my ongoing exams. And I will be writing occasionally until I finish my exams.
Today is Nepal bandh. This is the second valley bandh within a week. Teachers have called of valley bandh five days ago. Today’s bandh is called by Nepal Federation of Indigenous Nationalities to observe June 1 as ‘Black Day’ in memory of a ruling by the Supreme Court nine years ago to ban the use of local language as formal language in local bodies.
I had to go to my office today as well after preparing for my exams. I thought why not walk on the road and experience the bandh.
The roads were empty. I could see ambulances, tourist vehicles, police and media vehicles plying. People were in hurry to reach their destination.
I could see small groups of people at the side of the road checking the cards of the vehicles that were plying.
As I come to the office I was shocked that to hear the news that my colleague Baburaja was mistreated by the bandh organizers. He is the visual editor of Kantipur Television Network.As I steeping inside the lift another friend told me that our office van was manhandled by the organizers.
There were one producer and another reporter inside the van when the incident occurred. Driver Shivram Thapa told me that they were angry for not covering their news and giving them much space.
I was shocked to hear this incident because we journalist are always mistreated. They want more coverage in the news and we have to cover the whole world in one hour.
Just a month ago I was also mistreated in Chabahil by the same organizers. They said that they weren’t given more coverage and their views weren’t given more space in the news.
Its time they should understand that placement and coverage of the news is based on the news value it contains.

No comments:

Post a Comment